Monday, December 6, 2010

Ch 3.4 Linear Programming



For my chapter 3. 4 project, I created my own word problem. My problem is: Charlie is planning a green rood that will cover up to 800 square feet. He will use two types of flowers: white fressia and purple fressia. Each white fressia will cover up 2 square feet. Each purple fressia will cover 4 square feet. Each plant costs $4.00 and Charlie can only spend $1000. Write the constraints and graph the feasible region.

Let: w= the number of white fressia and
p=the number of purple fressia

My constraints are:
1) w is greater than or equal to 0
2) p is greater than or equal to 0
3)2w+4p is less than or equal to 800 but when simplified is p is less than or equal to -1/2w+200
4) 4w+4p is less than or equal to 1000 but when simplified is p is less than or equal to -1w+250

On the picture above, my first constraint is black. My second constraint is blue. My third constraint is green. My fourth constraint is purple. My fifth constraint is all of the constraints combined to create a feasible region which is pink. My vertices are (0,0); (0,200): (100,150); and (250,0).

No comments: